The place to find business sales tax information

— as well as solutions, services and jobs!

When selling services to companies and organizations that are (or claim) to be non-profits are we required to charge sales tax?

Full Question: When selling our amusement rentals and event planning services to NC companies and organizations that are or are purported to be non-profits (such as schools, universities, churches, and other non-profit entities,) are we required to charge Sales Tax on taxable items? Some of these companies think they are tax exempt. We need to know our sales tax responsibilities/liabilities in these circumstances. Thank you.

Brought to you by:

NOTE: This site does NOT provide client-specific tax advice. Information provided is general and may NOT apply to your particular situation. Do NOT take any action based upon any site content until you have received advice from an independent, qualified tax practitioner with whom you have a professional-client relationship. All content is subject to our disclaimer.


Diane Yetter photoIn North Carolina, non-profit organizations, schools, and churches generally must pay tax on both their purchases and sales. Such organizations may apply for semiannual refunds of sales and use tax paid by the above types of qualified organizations and institutions on direct purchases of tangible personal property for use in carrying on their nonprofit work. When an institution or organization (including a nonprofit organization) purchases taxable tangible personal property for use from a North Carolina supplier or a registered out-of-state supplier who charges the State and local sales or use tax, the organization must pay the tax to the supplier. If the items sold to the organizations are being resold by the Non-profit entity, they should be registered as a retailer and can then provide you with a resale certificate including their North Carolina registration number. Therefore, non-profit entities such as churches and other religious institutions, non-profit educational institutions, and charitable organizations must pay tax on their purchases, so you are required to charge sales tax on taxable items sold to them.

(Not quite what you need? View SALES TAX QUESTIONS home page to access other topics or use site-wide SEARCH in upper right)


Access to any portion of is contingent upon your acceptance of our Terms of Use. This Web Site and content provided by STS Publishing, LLC and its third party content providers, including, but not limited to information, documents, forms, comments, advice and opinions, is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for professional advice, nor does the use of this Web Site constitute a professional-client relationship. The Web-Site also includes advertisements, directory listings, job postings and links to third party web sites, all of which are provided for your convenience only and in no way constitute a referral, endorsement, or warranty by of any product or service provided by such third parties. All content is provided “as is” with no guarantee regarding accuracy, suitability, or timeliness. Your reliance on any content accessed on or through the Web Site, or on any product or service provider is strictly at your own risk.