The place to find business sales tax information

— as well as solutions, services and jobs!

Supporting Your Exemptions: Acceptable Documentation

author photo of Dan Davis

The following principle should be locked into every taxpayer’s mind: a transaction is not tax-exempt unless it’s supported by documentation that’s acceptable to the taxing authority.  If you lose the documentation or fail to obtain it within the required time frame, you’ll probably lose the deduction, no matter how legitimate it might otherwise be.

In most jurisdictions, exemption certificates are the primary documents needed to support deductions for transactions that would otherwise be taxable.  Transactions or activities that are excluded from the tax base, such as installation labor in most states, can generally be supported by ordinary records such as sales invoices, work orders, contracts, and similar original documents.  Sales of non-installed property shipped to customers in other states (i.e., sales in interstate commerce) may be supported by shipping documents such as bills of lading and carrier receipts.

The resale certificate is the most common type of exemption certificate.  A resale certificate is an affidavit provided by a purchaser to a seller, stating that the purchaser is buying the subject property for resale.  The buyer fills out the certificate, signs it, and gives it to the seller so the seller can document the deduction when she claims it on her sales tax return for the period of sale.  Generally the certificate must include the buyer’s sales tax permit number, address, business name and nature, a description of the property being purchased, and, of course, a statement that the property is being bought for resale.  (Note that the words “for resale” should be specifically stated.  Most jurisdictions will not accept overly general descriptions such as “nontaxable” or “exempt.”)

Alabama, Mississippi, and Oklahoma don’t employ resale certificates, so in these states, the seller should write the buyer’s sales tax permit number (and indicate “for resale”) directly on the relevant sales invoice.  The invoice should also include the buyer’s name and address and should clearly state the nature of the property sold.

Florida, Maine, New Mexico, and Washington issue preprinted reseller forms to businesses that resell property.  The businesses, in turn, must provide copies of these forms to their vendors to avoid being taxed on merchandise they buy for resale.

In addition to resales, most states require sellers to obtain exemption certificates for other types of nontaxable sales of items within their tax bases.  Such sales might include property that’s nontaxable because of its intended use (e.g., in manufacturing) or because the buyer is a tax-exempt entity.  California, D.C., Hawaii, Illinois, and Ohio require contractors to issue specialized exemption certificates (and not resale certificates) when buying materials that will be incorporated into realty in a different state.

Both the Streamlined Sales Tax Governing Board and the Multistate Tax Commission have developed general purpose exemption certificates that may be used for a variety of purposes in participating states.  The certificates can be accessed at and, respectively.  Each form lists the states where it may be used and, where applicable, each state’s individual limitations.

Most states that are not part of the Streamlined Sales Tax project or the Multistate Tax Commission require exemption certificates (including resale certificates) in their own specified formats.  Many states have one all-purpose exemption certificate, and others have individual certificates for each type of exemption.  (Connecticut has more than 40 such forms.)  These certificates can be found at each state taxing agency’s website.

Auditors often will disregard an exemption certificate if they suspect it was not taken in good faith.  For example, a resale certificate issued by a contractor for the purchase of a backhoe would at least be questioned unless the contractor was also in the business of selling such equipment.   Exemption certificates that are only partially filled out are also likely to be disregarded.

In most states, exemption certificates are good until affirmatively revoked by the issuer.  In some states, however, the certificates are only good for a specified number of years.  In any case, it’s advisable to request updated certificates periodically (every three years or so), if only to keep up with customer name and/or address changes.  The older certificates should be retained along with the updated versions, since some states will not treat the new ones as valid for periods before their issue dates.

Any questions and comments about exemptions documentation? Feel free to submit below...

Construction contracts with exempt entities will be the subject of next month’s article.  (BTW - Let us know if there are any particular issues you'd like us to address in that post.)

Note: Dan Davis and Jesse McClellan are not currently accepting new comments nor questions. Use the Site's SEARCH bar to locate other helpful information.

Other recent “Construction / Contractor Tax” posts by Dan Davis:

NOTE: All blog content, comments, and participation subject to disclaimer at bottom of page.


2 Responses to Supporting Your Exemptions: Acceptable Documentation

  • Posted by Robin on February 23, 2014 11:46pm:

    We are a GC in NC and currently our projects are waste water treatment plants. Where do I find what water and sewer equipment is tax exempt? How do I know what sales tax rate to pay? Most equipment is coming from out of state/

    • Posted by Author photo of Dan DavisDan Davis on February 25, 2014 8:49am:

      The water and sewer equipment you install will be subject to NC use tax - there is no exemption for this. The applicable rate will be the one at the jobsite.


Access to any portion of is contingent upon your acceptance of our Terms of Use. This Web Site and content provided by STS Publishing, LLC and its third party content providers, including, but not limited to information, documents, forms, comments, advice and opinions, is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for professional advice, nor does the use of this Web Site constitute a professional-client relationship. The Web-Site also includes advertisements, directory listings, job postings and links to third party web sites, all of which are provided for your convenience only and in no way constitute a referral, endorsement, or warranty by of any product or service provided by such third parties. All content is provided “as is” with no guarantee regarding accuracy, suitability, or timeliness. Your reliance on any content accessed on or through the Web Site, or on any product or service provider is strictly at your own risk.